ThinkingRock Forum

To go back to http://www.trgtd.com.au
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:16 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:04 am 

Ok, so I'm probably the first one to use this with a composite desktop, but I was really hoping for an improvement, and that's why I tried the gamma release. See, I have dual-screens, and on 1.2.3, I get a huge window that spans both screens. If I try to resize it, it doesn't redraw, it just cuts off the important part of the window, and leaves me with lots of whitespace. So back to 2.0. Without beryl or compiz, things are fine, but all I get is a blank box with either of them turned on. I can start thinking rock, and then turn on beryl, but then certain dialog boxes don't work anymore. So for now, it's one or the other. I really love beryl, but if thinking rock proves effective, I might have to do without it for a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:05 am 

Hm, I use TR v1.2.3 at work together with compiz on Debian Etch and haven't got any issues so far. I use KDE (and kde-window-decorator). I don't have TR 2.0gamma + compiz experience yet.

AFAICT there are some known issues with java and compiz (e.g. http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/c ... 00224.html). I don't know the specifics tho.

Post subject: just beryl maybe
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:00 pm 

Ok, perhaps it's only beryl. I had switched window managers via the beryl-manager to compiz, and it did the same thing, but perhaps it's not beryl or compiz but my drivers or something of that nature. Are you using the beta nvidia drivers, or the standalone xgl server?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:16 am 

I'm using an ATI video card with AIXGL (Xorg 7.1.1 / ati_drv).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:06 pm 

You may have the same problems i have, with me all the tabs were missing from the action screen so it appeared white. Making new tabs through options gave me back my window.

but i had no dialog problems or scaling problems...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:27 pm 

I can get TR to work if I switch to metacity, start TR, and then switch back to beryl. A bit of a pain but at least I'm not totally out of luck. :(

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:33 pm 

I also have problems, though I'd guess this is more of a Java problem rather than something specific to TR. This is what I get from the console:

Code:
[WinSys.PersistenceManager.getTopComponentForID] Problem when deserializing TopComponent for tcID:'OverviewTopComponent'. Reason: Top component OverviewTopComponent could not be located or loaded from Components folder.
Cannot find Overview component. It will not be located properly in the window system.

If I switch off compiz, it works, and then I can switch it back on, just as was reported by other people. This is on a standard Ubuntu Feisty Fawn install.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:29 pm 

Just wanted to let you guys know I have the same problem:

a blank window with beryl turned on
all the functions without beryl

I am using ubuntu 7.04

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:31 am 

Pleas try the following workaround:

export AWT_TOOLKIT=MToolkit
./thinking-rock.sh

I.e. set the environment variable AWT_TOOLKIT=MToolkit and then start TR. You can add env var setting to the thinking-rock.sh script as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:03 am 

zImage,

Thanks, the trick works perfectly with Ubuntu 7.04 and it's built-in desktop effects (Compiz).

charlieMOGUL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:09 am 

Thank you so much, it works, with Beryl! I can't believe it...

Also works with Ubuntu 6.10!

Martin

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]